PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Our large range of ppe workwear includes PPE clothes, PPE gloves, PPE goggles, hi vis jackets and safety footwear. All PPE wear is designed to protect users from injury from electrical, chemical and physical hazards etc. PPE equipment may be worn for job-related occupational health and safety purposes as well as for sports and other recreational activities.
All PPE items are used to reduce employee exposure to hazards when administrative and engineering controls are not feasible or effective to reduce risks to allowable levels. PPE is required when there are hazards present but must not be relied on completely as it does not eliminate the hazard at source and can fail if not checked and maintained properly.
The aim of protection clothing and ppe equipment is to act as a barrier between user and the working environment. Our range of ppe clothing is heavy duty yet light weight and easy to wear. Some safety clothing and workwear can be restrictive which can be a deterrent from wearing them or wearing them correctly therefore placing themselves at risk of injury, ill health or sometimes even death. The quality ergonomic design of our protective clothing work wear enables users to be comfortable and maintain healthy working conditions.
Practices of occupational safety and health can use hazard controls and interventions to control and decrease workplace hazards that pose a threat to the safety of workers.
Creating a safe working environment involves providing instructions, procedures, adequate training and supervision to allow staff to work safely and responsibly. Some hazards are unavoidable via these methods and require extra precautions. These hazards include:
• Injury to lungs: breathing in contaminated air and hazardous chemicals
• Injury to head and feet: from dangers such as falling materials and spills
• Harm to eyes: from flying particles or contact with corrosive liquids
• Skin irritations: from contact with corrosive materials – which can be avoided through the use of safety gloves/ protective gloves
• Harm to the body: from extreme temperatures and handling of hazardous substances
If PPE is still needed after all other controls have been implemented then safety workwear must be provided to all employees requiring it for free of charge. Equipment must be chosen carefully and all employees are trained on how and when to use it properly and know the correct procedures to follow in case of any faults.
• To ensure quality choose products that have the CE mark in accordance with the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002
• Use equipment which suits the user e.g. size, fit and weight of PPE. If users are involved in the choosing process they are more likely to use it
• If more than one item of PPE is required at the same time make sure they are safe to be used together such as safety glasses may affect the seal of a respirator etc
• Users must have training on how and when to use equipment such as how to remove safety gloves without contaminating skin and hi vis workwear when around moving vehicles/ machines etc.
• Never get lazy in regards to PPE and never allow exceptions for small and quick jobs
• Check with us which PPE is appropriate for the job you need
• PPE must be maintained and looked after properly when and not in use. For example storing in the correct conditions – dry, clean cupboard
For more useful information visit the HSE website